It's here!!! Now what? What's different, you ask? Actually quite a bit is different, they added some really nice features/customization's that we can do on the fly. Seems they do read all these forums. Took some things out (mainly on the code side of things) that are kind of annoying and good. Still no quick settings by default, but have no fear, they will be there.
I'm going to outline some of the main changes from ICS to JB.
- All that green is gone!!! Well, ok, not all but a lot of it is gone. They still have that ugly green battery in there and some other small areas, like the keyboard prediction area and some icons here and there. But for the most part, all the common green is gone. Not sure what you think about that, I for one love it! Check out the screenshots.
- Not sure how to do any theming and want to change up the mms apk a little. Well you have that option now. You can add a background image to the messaging convo's and change up the bubbles. How? Open up the MMS.apk > Menu > Settings > General > Personalize area > Background/colors. They also put in there Backup/Restore, Blocking, and Secure options by default. Check out the image below.
- Tired of those annoying shortcuts on the lock screen, don't like having to unlock your phone, or do you want to have a different wall paper on your lockscreen than your home screens. Well all of that is doable now, settings > personalize > Lock screen style(wallpaper-no lockscreen-scroll all the way to the right)/Lock screen shortcuts (removes them). Pretty cool huh, yea I thought so too.
- How about those annoying arrow keys in the stock keyboard? Should you keep them or get rid of them? How do I do it? Well it's simple now, no smali editing involved, just go to settings > Language & Keyboard > HTC Sense Input > check or uncheck, whatever you choose. And as you can see in there, you can also check or uncheck trace and even pick a color for the line.
- One thing that they took out was the cube effect in the app drawer, people, etc...I for one liked that and I think that was a bad move, so I'm sure it will get put back.
- The keyboard is quite a bit different too, at first glance and testing, I actually liked it. But after further review and use, I'm not really a fan of it. However, I wasn't really a fan of the stock HTC keyboard anyway, I prefer swiftkey so I'll let some of you other HTC stock keyboard fans give reviews. The few I've talked to, aren't much of a fan either.
- Dropdown notification tray is a little different too, mainly just the look and layout of it. One thing I don't like in there for sure is power saver off option, it's in there by default. Other than that, it's different but I can get used to it.
- Another big difference is the power control app, what you used to select disk drive/charge only/tethering, the have split it into two different icons in the dropdown. One is for switching drives/media file sharing and the other is for selecting hotspot tethering/bluetooth tethering. Little too busy for me in the dropdown, I can't stand all those icons and stuff in there, so I'm not really a fan of that.
- Last but not least...The ever so popular Google Now is included in the stock rom and you can get to it by long pressing on your home key. Have no fear though, I'm sure all that will get some remapping work with custom roms and such.
Did I miss any new cool/annoying addition to JB. Post your findings and opinions here!